Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Easter Reminders in My Garden




A strip of blue streaked across my yard. Two large bluejays chatted and then flew away. In the bright, crisp morning, a melody of tunes, with a frog percussion section, drifted across the lake.

Brilliant spring greens glistened in the emerging light. African irises struggled to open their eyes. A few Mexican petunias showed their purple faces and a solitary, white spidery lily gleamed. Remnants of pink azaleas clung to life.

As the garden awoke, a mallard duo formed a wake along the shoreline. Squirrels scampered from tree to tree. Mrs. Cardinal and Mrs. Wren conversed over breakfast at the feeder. Early risers waited for late arrivals.

Though slivers of spring welcomed me, the pine truly announced that Easter was near. What I saw at the top of one tall pine made me smile. Against the bright blue background, a single cross announced Easter like a Christmas star.

Each year, slash pines develop small crosses. At the end of branches, new growth turns into the unusual reminders of Jesus’ death. His resurrection is signaled by hope in the emerging spring.

Only a few days later, crosses erupted on the pines and blooms burst with color around the garden. I smiled at the beautiful Easter illustration.

John 16: 33 I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. (NIV)

Dear Lord, thank you for the reminders of Easter. Help me remember the incredible gift of Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment