Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Time for Everything


Waves tickled the lake. Mallards quacked a greeting to passing white ducks. A double picture of lake, trees, and sky loomed before me. One clear and solid. The other a wavy reflection. My serene sanctuary provided the perfect setting to contemplate the upcoming day. 
Preparations had been made for Stephanie’s memorial service. Only last minute details remained. Family and friends would arrive at our home to celebrate her life. 
As I thought of the upcoming service, I realized, with a start, that today was our seventh anniversary. With all the plans for the memorial, I had temporarily forgotten. 
It would be a day intertwined with happiness and grief.  A day of contrasts. Happy, sad. Joy, sorrow. Anticipation, regret. Hellos, goodbyes. 
My time of serenity by the lake would help me face the trials of the day. 
During the service, Pastor Gus’s message stressed that life is composed of certain periods and seasons which perfectly mirrored my morning devotional time. With God, we can face both the good and the bad knowing it is all part of His plan. 
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
Ecclesiastes 3: 1-9 (NIV)
... I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4: 11-13  (NIV)
Heavenly Father, thank you for your love and comfort in all situations. Thank you for the loving arms that surround us-often given by your servants. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment