Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Attachment



From my favorite spot on the patio, I stared at a long strip of gray Spanish moss dangling from the sky. It shivered when no breeze tickled my face. Then it danced as the wind picked up. What kept it from falling?
I stepped onto the grass and looked skyward. A tiny swatch of the mass clutched a limb of the soaring bald cypress. There was a solid attachment though unseen from my special chair.
During heavy winds and torrential rain, I watched in fascination as the tangled web swayed, twisted, and spun erratically. After the storm, I expected to find it on the ground with large clumps of moss, broken limbs, and dead palm fronds. 
With surprise, I noticed the long tail hung securely to the tree. That one slender, strong thread kept it attached to the even stronger tree.
A life firmly attached to Jesus--perhaps at times by only a thread--stays fastened even during turbulence. At times, the connection may not be obvious, but it remains secure though yanked, ripped, and strained by life. He won’t let go.
“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  Romans 8: 37-38 (NIV)
Dear Father, remind us that we are firmly attached to you even when the winds blow and the storms come. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment