Thursday, July 31, 2014

Reminders


A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. Proverbs 25:15. NIV

My patio greenhouse brought endless memories. Friends from a long ago trip brought the flowering pink desert rose. Vibrant amaryllis, descended from a neighbor’s garden over twenty-five years ago, waved. Wandering Jew, clipped from a friend’s family legacy plant, cascaded from two pots. 

Ten orchid plants congregated on a table in the corner.  One plant was given to me as a welcome to the neighborhood at our previous home. A second plant came the day after my dad died along with a sympathetic hug. After moving to our new home, I divided my five plants into ten pots multiplying the beauty.

Four decorative planters held flourishing greenery from family and friends to comfort me after the death’s of my dad, Alan, and my mom. Peeking in from outside the screen, white and pink roses added color from memorial bushes for Alan.

Each gift had been precious, but I had never imagined the gathering of friends and family on my patio. Each morning when I meet God, they join me on the patio. When I sit at dusk and marvel at the beauty of the pink sky and serene lake, I am not alone. I remember their love and compassion. 

Every day I sense God’s constant presence. A delicate flower. A towering tree. A rippling lake. Joyful bird songs. Brilliant blue sky. Threatening clouds. All reminders that He cares and is near.

In our technology crazed world, relationships can suffer. Text messages, emails, and Facebook can be convenient and time saving. However, they shouldn’t replace one on one conversations, eye contact, and heart felt hugs. Cards and flowers send love.

I nurture my relationship with God by studying the Bible, reading devotionals, and conversing in prayer. I am also attempting to nurture human relationships through visits, conversations, and hand written notes. 

Dear Lord, help me to nurture special relationships. Thank you for those who have surrounded me with love and kindness. Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment