Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Slithering Intruder



            “There’s a snake by you!” someone behind me shrieked. 

            I looked to see who she was talking to.  When I looked down, I realized it was me. A two foot long snake sliced the water beside me.  I jumped out of its way.

            The intruder headed to the side of the pool as he disrupted the water aerobics class. Alarm and dismay took over the class.

            Another lady and I slowly walked to the side. I grabbed a foam noodle from the deck and dipped it under the snake. Just as I had him to the edge, he slid back into the water and headed towards me. Again, I jumped away. Then I maneuvered him toward the side again.

            Like a cobra, his head reached upward as he struggled to escape. Just as we thought he would make it, he slipped downward. I kept trying to go under him to lift him with the noodle but couldn’t get a grip on the slippery fellow.

            At the same time, the teacher and another student each hurried to get a pool net. Both stood ready for action. The teacher reached down and snagged the intruder. With the net far out in front of her, she walked to the back of the pool area to release him over the fence. However, he wouldn’t come out of the net. She shook the critter but he wouldn’t budge.

            She left the net hanging over the fence and stated, “I have never seen such a large snake.”

            We laughed and told her that was a small one for Florida.

            “No one told me about that,” she said.


            We laughed and resumed class. Just another day in sunny Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment