Thursday, August 20, 2015

Search for the Treasures



The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship.
Psalm 19: 1 NLT

            Like gently pulled back bedcovers, filmy clouds moved away to reveal a lightening dawn. Blobs of pink briefly dotted the gray blanket of clouds. Along the horizon, a strip of light silhouetted soaring pines.

            Splashes of light illuminated bits of the dark lake. Bird melodies joined the hum of traffic. Gradually, blue and white replaced gray. Increasing light unveiled the beauty of the lake.

            A quick glance from inside my home, would have only given me a look at gray, dreary clouds. My outlook for the day might have been gloomy.

            From my patio I took time to pause, observe, and reflect and received a lovely pink treasure.  That surprise and the retreating clouds reminded me that even in the most difficult times, blessings can be found. Sometimes they are big but often are small and easily missed.

            In the pain of grief, I have learned to slow down and appreciate what is around me. I try to focus on blessings instead of sadness.

            Helping others is like a dose of painkiller for my own grief. The medicine doesn’t cure the heartache but helps soothe its sting. If I can relieve another’s pain, then mine has not been in vain.


Father, open my eyes to the beauty and blessings around me. Open my heart to those who are suffering. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment