Monday, March 28, 2016

Where Did They Take Him?



But Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot. They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?” “They have taken my Lord away,” she said, “and I don’t know where they have put him.”
(John 20: 11-13 NIV)

            Visitors bent over to enter. Stared at the bare, stone ledge. The words of the angels rang in my ears. “He is risen!”

            Usually, other pilgrims stood beside me. Often, a hush encircled us. But on other visits, jabbering tourists took pictures like they were at Disney.

            My favorite time, when I entered alone, allowed me to remember in silence the gospel accounts about Jesus’ death and resurrection .  Mary Magdalene’s tears. Peter and John’s amazement. The appearance of the angels. Even though I read the stories multiple times, like Thomas, I wanted to see for myself.

            Being in the empty, garden tomb, heightened my senses and touched my heart. Like Mary, I wondered, “Where did they take Him?”

            In our culture and around the world, Jesus is being taken out of lives.
You can’t read the Bible in school.
The 10 commandments have to be taken down.
The cross has to be removed from the park.
We should take In God we trust off our money.
Nativity displays have to be taken off government property.

            How disheartening it is to hear of Jesus being taken out of lives. But the disciples heeded His words, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to very creature.” (Mark 16: 15 NIV)

            If only Christians today would do the same.

            Mary of Magdala went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her. (John 20: 18 NIV)


Dear Lord, help me to share more boldly about you and not take you out of my life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment