Monday, August 8, 2016

Blessed by the Legacy



Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22: 6 NIV

            Volunteers, seated at high tables, ate fruit, potatoes and biscuits.  We waited to begin connecting with members and visitors coming to the early church service.

            One of the youngish pastors stood before the group and explained our duties. Before he prayed, he looked at me and asked, “Do you want me to embarrass you?”

            Before I could answer, he said, “This is Rebecca Carpenter, Chris Storms’ mom, who will be serving with us.”

            Smiles. Murmurs of welcome. Acknowledgment of my son surrounded me. Most of the volunteers in the room could have been my children. To them, I was probably just a random senior citizen until they learned about my son.

            Only one pastor and his wife in the room knew me from years earlier when I started attending the church. At that time, I was active in various activities and knew many people. Then Chris was known as my son.

            Over time, difficult situations, a longer drive to church and less energy caused me to not be as involved. I giggled to myself as Pastor Jeff introduced me as Chris’ mom.

            Because Chris, Anne and their daughters were important members of the church and involved in many activities, they are well known by many people. The role reversal is part of God’s plan. As the older generation steps back, the younger ones take over.

            How thankful and blessed I am to see the gradual transition. I am not yet ready to quit but look forward to new opportunities and ministries for myself. I will also watch Chris and his family grow in their ministries. What an awesome legacy.


Heavenly Father, thank you for children who extend the family legacy to their own children as they share about You. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment