Wednesday, March 15, 2017

God's Awesome Connections



God can do anything you know-far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams. He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, His Spirit deeply and gently within us. Glory to God in the church. Glory to God in the Messiah, in Jesus. Glory down all the generations. Glory through all millennia! Oh, yes!
(Ephesians 3: 20-21 The Message)

            “Pastor Gus is looking for you.” Those words greeted me when I stopped at the information desk at church.

            After wandering through the foyer, we found each other. He smiled as he began his story.

            “Before I left for church this morning, I put one of your books in my bag. I didn’t know why. Two sisters came up to me for prayer. One lady lost her husband this week. I got your book and gave it to her. I want you to meet her.”

            He took me into the sanctuary to meet the two ladies. I gave each of them my card so they could contact me or read my blog. They were both surprised that I was the author of the book Pastor Gus had given to her. We talked and hugged before I left for my next assignment.  

            I had been asked to be part of the Lenten reading with a new friend from the Connect Team. The purpose of the team is to connect worshipers and team members to the church and to each other.

            After my partner and I participated, we sat down. During communion, he whispered to me. “Do you see the lady in the front row? I met her a couple of weeks ago while I was connecting with people before the service. I talked to her this morning. She told me her husband died this week. She’s here with her sister.”

            I told him about my earlier encounter and wondered at first if it was the same widow. I watched her as people passed in front of her to take communion. Tears filled my eyes as she wiped tears away. I recognized that pain and wanted to comfort her.

            Should I go up now? Should I wait until after the service?
           
            After debating with myself, I decided it would be better to wait. As soon as the service ended, Tim and I maneuvered through the crowd to her side. The two ladies smiled at him. He introduced us.

            She told me about her loss. I told her about mine. We connected and hugged. I gave her one of my business cards and Tim told her about my book.

            My mind could hardly grasp the events that morning. Members of the Connect Team had been asked to read at the services that weekend but rarely did I attend that particular one. My husband Alan and I had a long time friendship with Pastor Gus. Months earlier, Tim and I connected on the team and shared some of our trials. Because both men knew of my grief and the book that came from it, they connected me to the two recent widows.

            When I thought of the hundreds of people watching live and online, I thought of backing out. Thankfully, I didn’t. Accepting the invitation to read led to many blessings. Not only were two widows comforted but the rest of us directly involved were blessed by God’s faithfulness. That blessing extended to everyone who heard the awesome connections that God orchestrated.


Heavenly Father, thank you for arranging events in just the right way and at the right time. Help me to be open to special opportunities. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment