Saturday, December 30, 2017

Remembering the Sunshine



... I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I know how to survive in tight situations, and I know how to enjoy having plenty. In fact, I have learned to face any circumstances: fed or hungry, with or without. I can be content in any and every situation through the Anointed One who is my power and strength. (Philippians 4: 11-13 The Voice)

A third day of gloom. The sun hidden by a thick coat of clouds. In many areas of the world, that wouldn’t be unusual but for the Sunshine State, it was almost unheard of.

My cold fingers gripped the pen as I wrote. The chill penetrated my long, fuzzy robe. I shivered.

A flock of crows bellowed and squawked. Their sudden appearance added to the gloom and disturbed my serenity. 

Turkey squalls echoed from one side of the lake to another. Nine females paraded across my yard. Two stopped. They turned and stared at me. We looked into each others’ eyes before they hurried to catch up with the others. A straggler rounded the corner of my house long after the group left. 

Once colorful cypress trees formed a ring of forlorn sentinels around the lake. Even green pines, without their sparkle, appeared downcast. Only blurry images reflected on the dark water. 

Nothing about the morning gave even a hint of brightness or hope. Dreariness and despair saturated everything. 

But when I took my thoughts from what was missing and examimed my surroundings, tiny white blooms wiggled in cold breezes. A few orange blossoms remained on brown spiral stems. Faint bird melodies drifted through the air. Patches of green grass remained.

A gorgeous sunrise, glittering lake, and cheerful plants were a memory etched in my mind. The morning scene before me was quite different. Not what I desired but what I had been given. However, as I remembered the beauty of my lakeside retreat, I knew the gloom would disappear and the sun again shine brightly.

Circumstances in my life often were quite different from what I hoped for. In my pain and grief, Jesus holds me tightly and provides others to support and love me. No matter what lies ahead, I am not alone. In all circumstances, I am learning to be content and see how each situation can be used for good.


Heavenly Father, thank you for all I have been given. Keep me focused on you in all my circumstances. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment