Friday, April 20, 2018

Frantic Frenzy



Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3: 5-6 NIV)

            Dark circles marred the floor of my porch. Armed with my broom, I headed to the invaders.

            Hours of rain prodded worms to escape the deluge and take refuge on my patio. However, being in the open on a concrete floor wasn’t a good alternative to the soaked ground for creatures that need moisture. 

            I swept several dried up worms toward the door. A few stuck like glue so I had to scrape them loose but bits of their remains left a residue. 

            When the broom touched a long, stretched out body, he moved. He twisted and turned frantically like he had been hit with an electric current. Each time I tried to pick him up gently, he went into a frenzy and fell off the paper I held. 

            Finally, I got him onto the newspaper and rushed to the door. When I put him down on the lawn, he returned to his outlandish gyrations before he slithered off and disappeared into the grass. 

            Even though I was saving him from the fate of his friends, he resisted. He fought against being rescued. He didn’t understand the plan, but I did. 

            That silly worm reminded me of the way we often fight against God. When life gets hard, we try desperately to fix it and reject God’s plans for us. We think we know best and struggle frantically. He knows the whole picture and works it out for us in His time. We need to relax, trust and rest in His care. 

Loving Father, even when we struggle against you, there is a plan for our lives. Help us trust that you will work it all out for our good. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment