Monday, November 26, 2018

The Altered Journey



May we never tire of doing what is good and right before our Lord because in His season we shall bring in a great harvest if we can just persist. So seize any opportunity the Lord gives you to do good things and be a blessing to everyone, especially those within our faithful family. (Galatians 6: 9-10 The Voice)

The trunk lid closed with a suitcase, cooler and shoes inside. The beginning of my solo trip began as I pulled out of the garage. So did my tears. 

            When I prepared for my Thanksgiving journey to my niece’s home, I looked forward to seeing my family. But grief, once again, ambushed me. Memories swirled of happier times when everyone sat around the table and celebrated. 

            Reality made me remember the tough times around Thanksgiving too. When I was a child, a phone call interrupted our meal with my mom’s family to let us know my other grandpa passed away. When I was in college, grandma went to the hospital before Thanksgiving and passed away the day after. A few years ago, another phone call came with unwelcome news as we began to eat. My nephew was in ICU. Painful situations altered other Thanksgivings over the years. 

            In my mind, I wanted a perfect holiday but many of mine had hardly been ideal. Often family members were missing so this year would not be that different. Of course, driving alone on unfamiliar roads made the whole trip more difficult. 

            For about five minutes, tears flowed. Then I decided my journey would be an adventure and not a sorrowful drive. 

            Sunshine and blue sky joined me while I drove in light traffic on the interstate. Praise music and sermons on thankfulness boosted my spirit. I did have much to be thankful for despite the empty chairs. 

            After leaving the highway an hour later, I pulled into a McDonald’s for a drink and break. However, flashing lights on three police cars in the parking lot and officers entering the restaurant, changed my mind. 

            A stream of customers entered the Wawa across the street as I pulled into their parking lot. I felt more secure and safe there.

            Inside the store, I took a cup of tea to the counter. The clerk looked at me and said, “Are you just getting a drink?”

            “Yes.”

            “You are good,” she said.

            “I don’t have to pay for it?” I asked. 

            “No,” she said with a smile. “Happy Thanksgiving.”

            “Happy Thanksgiving to you too,” I said.  

            Her act of kindness soothed the ache in my heart. She had no idea how she helped 

a lonely traveler and encouraged me to reach out to someone else.

            Later at a stoplight, a ragged looking man stood beside the road with a cardboard

sign. However, his was different than most.

            It read  Palm roses. Donations accepted. 

            In his hand, he held flowers made of palm fronds. To people in the long line of 

cars, he seemed invisible.

            I rolled down my window and motioned to him. He walked across the road, and 

we exchanged blooms for money. He didn’t ask for a handout but something for what he 

made. I hoped that I encouraged him like the lady at Wawa did for me.  

            From the well-traveled highways, I continued on rural roads and experienced a bit 

of nostalgia. Fields of crops. Cattle and horses grazing. Goats munching. I passed through 

small towns and by country churches. Moss covered trees swayed in breezes. With each 

mile, I thanked God for many wonderful things in my life. 

            What began as a lonely journey, turned into a trip of blessings. I looked forward 

to celebrating with family and new friends instead of lamenting those who were missing. 

Loving Father, thank you for putting people in my life who lift me up. Help me do the 

same for others. Amen

             

No comments:

Post a Comment