Saturday, December 15, 2018

The Special Angel Tree



Three granddaughters joined me in making my home festive. While Emily and Molly took care of the nativity sets, Ashlyn easily transferred bins of Christmas items from the garage into my house. 

            Within minutes, she carried the long tree box to the living room, took out the sections and assembled it. I couldn’t believe how quickly she got it together. Then she pulled branches up and down to get the tree into the correct shape. 

            After that, she strategically placed sparkly, silver balls all around the tree. As she picked up various ornaments, I shared memories of them with her. 

            The year my dad passed away mother and Alan were both ill so we didn’t put up a tree. The next Christmas after Alan and mother passed away, it was too painful to even think about decorating a tree. 

            However, the following year, I decided to buy a tree and decorate it with angels  in memory of those who had passed away. I looked for all kinds of silver or white angels along with balls, snowflakes and ribbons. Each year, I looked for more angels to add to my collection. The angel tree brings memories but often tears too.

            This time was different because I didn’t have to decorate alone. Ashlyn carefully added each silver and white decoration. She even placed the vintage angel on top. 

            “How did you get her to stay upright?” I asked. 

            Ashlyn smiled. “I just bent the branches.”

            Even though I tried and tried, the angel would never stand straight so every year I would give up and replace her with a ribbon. But Ashlyn easily finished the tree with the lovely angel gazing out from the top. 

            Every time I look at my beautiful tree, I think of Ashlyn and her quiet, meticulous manner. This year my angel tree is even more special because of her love in helping me remember.  

Father, thank you for those I love who have passed and for those who continue to love me. Amen

            

No comments:

Post a Comment