Friday, January 18, 2019

Melting and Molding the Pieces



Eternal One, my True God I cried out to You for help. You mended the shattered tpieces of my life, You lifted me from the grave with a mighty hand, gave me another chance, and saved me from joining those in that dreadfulpit. 
(Psalm 30: 2-3 The Voice)

Two hours in the dental chair with multiple needles to numb my mouth. Pulling and pulling to remove the cracked crown. Gooey impressions and then, a temporary crown. Even though my dentist and her assistant tried to make the visit as pain free as possible, the whole process was stressful.

            Before I left the office, a small plastic bag was put into my hand. I looked down to see pieces of my fragmented, gold crown. 

            For a few days, the remnants remained in my car. Then I decided to see how much the gold was worth. 

            I walked into a small but attractive jewelry store. Sparkling rings, watches, necklaces and bracelets filled the glass cases. 

            “Do you buy gold?” I asked a man behind the counter.

            “Yes,” he said. 

            Instead of pulling out a long chain or fancy ring, I handed him my broken crown. 

            “Does it have a tooth in it?” he asked as a latex glove went onto his hand.

            “No.” How disgusting that would have been.

            The jeweler determined the quality and weight. After checking the current price of gold, he determined what he would pay me. 

            Though not a large amount, I bought my lunch with enough left for a second meal. 

            The damaged pieces of my crown will be melted down to form something of more value. Perhaps it will be part of a ring, necklace or bracelet to give joy to someone.

            Those pieces reminded me of broken lives that appear damaged beyond repair and worthless. But God can take shattered lives and make them into ones that are beautiful and valuable.  

            The melting process can be painful and heartbreaking. Several times in my life while dealing with divorce, a rebellious child, and death, I felt like nothing worthwhile could come from the sorrow. However, during the refining process, God remained close to heal, form and lead me in a new direction. 

Creator, thank you for molding broken pieces into something worthwhile. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment