Saturday, December 21, 2019

Peace Can Begin With Me


 Darkness enclosed my patio. A single light allowed me to read my Bible and daily devotionals. Reading and meditating helped me ignore the blackness around me. 

            Song lyrics in a couple of my devotionals, caused me to sing softly. “Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me…” from Let There Be Peace on Earth

            When I finished that song, I continued with “Chains shall He break. The slave is our brother…” from Oh, Holy Night. 

            Both songs gave me peace as darkness formed a cocoon around my patio. I thought of the joy and peace of Christmas. 

            However, as the sun rose, my lake returned with unwelcome thoughts of the news. Daily shootings, unrest and conflict screamed against the peace I felt in my little sanctuary. 

            Clouds blocked the bright sunshine. Gloominess shrouded the normal cheerfulness of my view. 

            The words of the song returned. “Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me.”

            I can’t repair lives broken by death and divorce. I am unable to stop violence around the world. 

            But I can bring a touch of peace to my world. Hug a hurting friend. Call my ninety-six year old aunt. Send cards to shut-ins. Deliver gifts to the less fortunate. Invite friends to lunch. 

            Jesus lived in a world of turmoil and violence too. He didn’t stop it but gathered normal, often despised, people and taught them to follow His example. 

            Love God. Love others. 

Dear Lord, help us to show your love to those around us. Peace can begin with us. Amen.

“Advent is a time of preparing and waiting. A time to prepare hearts and realize we are called to begin in our corner of world.” Jill Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment