Friday, February 14, 2020

Unforeseen: Paying It Forward



Since you are all set apart by God, made holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with a holy way of life: compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. (Colossians 3: 12 The Voice)

My bouquet of flowers traveled down the conveyor belt. The lady in front of me placed a plastic barrier between her groceries and my purchase. 

            As the items moved toward the cashier, my mind raced through my to do list. Without thinking, I walked forward. The young man picked up my flowers and placed them in a cart. Then I noticed groceries in the same cart. 

            When I prepared to pay, I heard the cashier say to the lady, “Oh, I thought those were yours. I rang them up on your bill.”

            With a smile, she said, “Never mind, that is ok.”

            I tried to hand her the money clutched in my hand. She shook her head. 

            I tried again. She refused but said, “Pay it forward.”

            “Thank you. I’m giving the flowers to someone.”

            With a smile, she pushed her cart from the store. 

            The thoughtfulness of a stranger warmed my heart. Even though she hadn’t planned to buy my flowers, she took the opportunity to be generous. Her unforeseen kindness continues to ripple through my life and now yours. 

Heavenly Father, you constantly give me opportunities to be kind and loving. Help my heart be open and willing to serve. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment