Monday, November 9, 2020

Turbulent Times


God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we won’t be afraid, though the earth changes, though the mountains are shaken into the heart of the seas; though its waters roar and are troubled, though the mountains tremble with their swelling…“Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth Yahweh of Armies is with us. The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah .(Psalm 46:1-3, 10-11 WEB)

A never ending barrage of angry waves bashed the beach. Dark clouds blocked the sun. Only a few brave souls ventured into the intense winds as the high tide pushed water farther and farther up the sand. 

            Winds died down that evening. Waves calmed. Water  receded and exposed more of the beach. Clumps of brown seaweed littered the white sand. I shook my head at the blight on the normally pristine sand. To avoid the ugly mess, I zigzagged through the disorder during my evening walk. 

            At the beginning of my vacation, I loved seeing the beauty of the endless beach. Then turbulent winds churned the water, pulled up unsightly seaweed, and spit it out as refuse.  After the storm, I wanted the tides to retrieve the rubbish and return it to the ocean. 

            Down the beach, I noticed hundreds of sand pipers. A few courageous birds scampered to the seaweed and stuck long beaks into the ugly masses for morsels of food. The birds weren’t afraid of what looked horrible. What appeared to me as only an unwelcome mess was actually beneficial to birds. 

 

            The year 2020 spit out one mess after another on the world. We can lament the shambles left behind or trust God and look for blessings within them. 

Loving Father, we don’t understand all of the chaos and upheaval, but You are not surprised. Help us trust You and show us the blessings in the midst of the messes. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment