Friday, January 1, 2021

Looking Ahead to the Goal


 

Sunlight beamed through the trees across the lake like gigantic headlights on a dark night. Before the sun peeked above the forest, shadows confined the lake. Water droplets beat out a steady rhythm on the downspout. An occasional chirp drifted through the silent dawn. 

 

            When the sun crawled out of bed, the lake wrinkled like a mussed comforter. Birds awoke. A blue heron circled my yard and landed on the shore. Bird songs joined in a delightful chorus. A pair of ducks swam lazily. Dark, cloud curtains were pushed back to reveal a bright, blue sky.

 

             Just as the dark night passed into a bright, cheerful morning, we can also anticipate an easier, more normal year. Instead of lamenting the past, we can try to make the most of what lies ahead. 

 

            For me, spending time with God in my special retreat gives me encouragement and comfort. When I read of His faithfulness, love and protection, I am reminded of how He has provided for me and He has done the same countless times for centuries. 

 

            When I leave my serene spot, I return to the chaos of the world but not without hope. This week brought news of the death of a friend’s brother, a man’s deep grief at the loss of his wife, a friend grieving the recent death of her husband, a cousin with Covid, and a widow’s injury from a fall plus even more distressing news. 

 

            Every time I learn of loss or heartbreak, my heart aches because I understand their pain. Because of my own losses, I understand and want to offer comfort as I have been comforted. 

 

            I never planned nor wanted a ministry to the grieving but that is what I have been given. Over and over, God has placed hurting people in my life. 

 

            At first, I resisted because I thought their heartache would reignite my own. Sometimes it does but I have learned to embrace them and their sorrows while God refines and teaches me. I am thankful when I make even a small difference in someone else’s life. As long as I can help someone, I feel that is my purpose. 

 

            As the new year begins, I look forward to what God has prepared for me. I don’t want to live in the difficult past or imagine horrible circumstances in the future. We don’t know how many days we have but this in not our home so we should live each day fully with Jesus. 

 

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. (Philippians 3:13-14, 20-21 NIV)

 

Father, as we begin a new year, guide us in what we are to do. When circumstances get difficult, offer your grace and mercy and remind us to look forward to heaven. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment