Wednesday, March 22, 2023

My Charming Retreat


Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5-5 (NIV)

After months of staying inside, I ventured out to my patio for a predawn devotional time. Bronchitis and allergies had kept me from enjoying the beauty and solitude of the lake. 

            In the crisp morn, the enchanting view welcomed me back. A half-moon glowed in the inky sky. Its light beamed as the sun gently overtook the darkness. Tweets, trills, and melodies formed a chorus of hidden singers. 

            Swirling mist performed a ballet above the shadowy water. Dragonflies twirled above lakeside plants. Dew drops twinkled on emerald grass. 

            A filmy scarf of pale green adorned bald cypress trees as they emerged from their winter sleep. Pink, yellow, and orange blooms decorated plants that survived winter freezes. 

            Because of so much time inside and having only glimpses of the lake through windows, each part of the incredible scene mesmerized me. Everything seemed new and exciting.

            Following a light rain that washed away some of the pollen, I quickly returned to my favorite spot. However, as I lingered to savor the splendor of the dawn, coughing returned. Unfortunately, allergy season remained. 

            Although I longed to stay outside in my charming retreat, wisdom whispered to leave. Continued exposure to pesky pollen would again attack my body. 

            A choice had to be made. I could pretend to feel good and linger in a not so good environment or I could be sensible and avoid triggers that might cause harm. 

            Each day there are choices to be made. Sometimes between good and bad. Frequently between good and better or even good and best. Immediate desires may push decisions which can lead to undesirable consequences. 

            When I prepared to go into the house, a cardinal chirped. His scarlet feathers glistened as he bid me farewell. A perfect ending to my visit and reminder that eventually, I would be able to return. 

Loving Father, thank you for the creation that speaks to us. Give us wisdom to make the best possible decisions each day. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment