Thursday, March 28, 2024

The Perplexing Last Supper


It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.

John 13:1 (NIV)

John and I walked through throngs of people searching for a man carrying a jug of water. Several women with water jugs passed by since they normally get water for their families.  Finally, we spotted him and followed at a distance. 

            When he stopped and put the water container down, I stepped up and said, “The Teacher and his disciples will observe the Passover meal at your house.”

            With no argument, he nodded and led us to an upper room where we prepared for the Passover meal.  John and I looked forward to a quiet meal with Jesus and the other disciples. 

            That didn’t happen. Jesus’ announcements that night startled and perplexed us from the beginning. 

            We began eating the special meal like we did each year. Instead of just reciting the rituals for the meal, Jesus blessed and broke the bread. As we took it, he said, “Take eat. This is my body given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”  

            Before I could ask what he meant, Jesus took a cup of wine and gave thanks for it. “This is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

            Confused faces filled the silent room. Of course, we heard all kinds of parables at he taught but this seemed different. Bread and body. Wine and blood. New covenant. We had the Old Testament covenant. Wasn’t that good enough? 

            Just as I began to ask questions, Jesus stood, took off his outer garment and wrapped a towel around his waist. Another surprise??

            We had enough to figure out and then he stopped in front of me with a basin of water. No slaves had come to clean my grubby feet. Why would Jesus stoop to that humiliating task? 

            “Are you going to wash my feet?”

            Jesus nodded with a smile. 

            “No. Never!” I exclaimed. 

            “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”

            I certainly didn’t want to miss out. “Then, Lord, not just my feet but my hands and my head as well.”

            The Master moved around the room cleansing grime off filthy feet. No one else protested as all eyes marveled at his humility.

            However intense sorrow covered his face as he lovingly washed the unclean feet of Judas. There was no condemnation even though the two of them knew the conspirator would turn his Teacher over to the religious authorities that night. 

            When he finished washing our feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. For years we had watched him heal, preach, and love so why was he showing us how to wash feet during a meal? We listened intently for a lesson that we knew would come.

            “I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet so you also should wash one another’s feet. I have given you an example that you should do what I did for you. I give you a new command. Love each other as I have loved you.”

            After just telling us to love others, his next words contradicted the new command. “One of you is going to betray me,” he said.  

How could that be? We had spent three years listening, learning  and loving him. Murmurings sounded around the room. 

            “Is it me?” 

            Others echoed my question. The Lord only said, “The one who dipped his hand in the dish with me will betray me.”

            We often dipped bread in a common dish at our meals so I had no idea who the traitor was. Judas took off about that time when Jesus said, “Go quickly and do what you have to do.”

            Since Judas took care of our finances, we believed he was taking care of a money matter. 

            A troubled mood settled over the room. Jesus looked sadly at each of us. “You will all fall away. But after I am risen, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.”

            “Maybe the others will leave but I never will,” I told him proudly. 

            “Peter, tonight before the cock crows you will deny me three times.”

            How could Jesus say those things about me? “Even if I have to die or go to prison, I won’t disown you.”

            I was confident my faith was strong and I would never deny my Teacher. But Jesus knew and loved me anyway. 

Father, even as Jesus faced a horrific death, he taught and loved those who would betray and deny him. Help us follow his command to love as he has loved us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment