Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Is That Rain?

What a wonderful sound! I woke to the roar of rumbling thunder. A few minutes later, gentle drops of rain began falling, which turned into a serene, steady rain. To the scorched grass, wilted plants, and depleted lakes, it was a welcome relief. Forest fires have been raging across drought stricken central Florida. Houses burned, and people displaced as consequences of the wildfires. Rain will reduce chances of more fires and help put out existing ones.
I watched rain popping like popcorn on the lake. I realized how beautiful and soothing it was. Had I always looked at rain like that? Of course not. Sometimes it ruined my plans for outside activities. It dirtied my newly cleaned windows. It drowned sensitive plants and flooded my lawn. Why was I so excited about it this time?
Today’s rain gave life to parched plants and replenished the low water level. Appreciation and abundance are often not companions. Only when something becomes scarce or nonexistent, does it become important.
Jesus said, “I am the Living Water.” That fact becomes real when we are scorched, parched, and desperate for relief. What a joy to give up trying to change situations on our own and let the Living Water revive us, wash us, and give us the strength to grow, mature, and branch out. Sometimes we only need a gentle rain, and other times we need a thunderstorm to get our attention. In either case, the Holy Spirit knows exactly what we require and provides it.

No comments:

Post a Comment