Friday, October 7, 2011

The Foghorn

Blarrrrrrre. Blarrrrrre.
Every few minutes the ship’s foghorn blasted through the dense fog. My world shrunk to only a few feet of ocean. From every window, a gray cloud obscured the view.
More booming. No dolphins or whales to watch. Even the sun retreated. My world closed around me.
Were other ships nearby? Would there be a collision? How could the captain maneuver safely?
Then I realized that the constant blaring alerted other ships to our location and was a source of protection. Instead of being a disturbance, the foghorn became a comfort. With the modern instruments and his knowledge, the Captain knew what to do to navigate the ship.
Sometimes lives are closed off by depression, grief, shame, guilt, rejection, or inadequacy. Stepping out into the uncertain fog of life seems too hard or even dangerous. Remaining isolated feels easier.
Like a foghorn, the Bible provides protection from the world. Jesus is the Captain who leads to make the voyage less frightening and the way more clear.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (NIV)

Father, guide me through the fogs of life. Thank you for your Word. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment