Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Horrific Experience

While looking out the window, a terrible tragedy unfolded in front of me. With no warning, the roof and walls of a tall building collapsed by the power of a raging flash flood. I was paralyzed.

“We have to close the window!” I screamed.

Just as the latch snapped shut, water reached to the seventh story window and continued rising. Like staring into a gigantic aquarium, I peered through the window in disbelief. An awful realization hit.

“We’re trapped. How can we get out?” I wailed.

Before I could devise a plan or faint from fright, the nightmare ended. For several minutes, the horrific scene played over and over in my mind.

Before bed the night before, the evening news showed the horrendous crash of a stage at the Indiana State Fair. While the reporter told the details, the shocking scene played over and over. The tragic event caused a heavy heart for the victims, their friends and families. My home state grieved. So did I.

Unconsciously, that horrific experience festered in my sleeping mind. Thankfully, the dream only occurred once but still had an impact.

Both good and bad experiences mold us. Whatever is allowed into our lives influences our thoughts and actions. A diet of trashy or violent movies, books, and computer sites can cause acceptance in real life. Cursing, sarcasm, and putdowns affect relationships. If all of this affects adults, think how it shapes children and young people. In our anything goes society, we are surrounded by unpleasant and disturbing events and situations. It takes an effort to ignore and avoid them.

Whatever is put inside rattles around and often comes out in unexpected, unhealthy ways. Garbage in. Garbage Out.

Proverbs 4: 14-15 Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men. Avoid it, do not travel on it.

Dear Lord, guide us and protect us from the evils of the world. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment