Wednesday, June 17, 2015

My Dejected Plant

     

So bow down with God’s strong hand: then when the time comes, God will lift you up. Since God cares for you, let Him carry all your burdens and worries.
1 Peter 5:6 The Voice

            Wilted petals dropped to the floor. Blackened leaves drooped from spindly stems. My once flourishing desert rose looked dejected and pathetic.

            My care of it hadn’t changed. It remained in the same position as last year when spectacular pink blooms cascaded down the vibrant plant for months. It should have been as gorgeous and vigorous as it had been.

            However, a close examination revealed an ugly, black substance on declining leaves and stems. An unknown and unwelcome intruder severely altered its beauty.

            Without treatment, it might recover slowly or perhaps die. The plant did nothing to cause the debilitating disease but suffered the consequences.

            In this world, destructive circumstances also attack and debilitate lives. Often, unexpectedly and with little warning and no apparent cause.

            In my grief, I have learned the Holy Spirit offers peace, strength, and comfort. Many times it comes through those around me. A hug, cup of tea, an invitation or listening ear.

            After many months of dealing with multiple sources of grief, healing has begun but isn’t complete. It will probably never totally go away.  Sudden waves of sadness still come but aren’t as frequent. Through it all, I know I am not alone.


Father, thank you for walking with me through all of the storms of life.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment