Monday, June 8, 2015

The Good and the Bad



And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3: 17 NIV

            Just outside my patio, water droplets glistened on purple flowers and dried up blooms. Bright yellow daisies pointed their smiling faces toward the sun while the brown ones drooped.

            Inside my porch, red blooms decorated the desert rose plant and the floor. Orchid blooms withered next to brilliant white ones.

            Two planters of robust greenery reminded me of Alan’s memorial service. For over a year I nurtured them and watched them grow. Their presence brought memories but not tears.

            Patches of algae marred the mirrored lake. In my sanctuary, signs of death mingled with the beauty of life.

            My old life, now gone, next to my new one. Dead blossoms can’t be revived. Neither will loved ones return.

            However, like my memorial plants, I can grow and flourish in my new life. Throughout each day, I think of Alan, dad, mother and others who are no longer here. Their legacies continue in their sayings, actions, and personal items.

            I find myself remembering things they did or said. Various objects bring back memories.

            “This garage is a mess and needs to be cleaned,” Alan often said.

            We differed on what constituted a mess. But I smiled as I swept and mopped the garage. I knew it would have made him happy.

            When I don’t want to make a phone call to tackle a problem, I remember how he diligently took care of things. His attention to detail stimulates me to follow his example.

            When I told Emily one of dad’s favorite jokes, she laughed. His humor lives on.

            Dad’s determination to stay fit and play softball until a few months before his death, encourages me to exercise when I would rather relax.

            As I straighten my closets, I remember how carefully mother arranged each of hers. Her example stirs me to be more organized.
           
            Each time I use one of her bowls, I remember countless meals she fixed for her family and friends. Her hospitality makes me want to do the same.

            The influence of each one surrounds and comforts me. They live on in each person they touched.


Heavenly Father, thank you for the influence of loved ones who are no longer here. May their legacies continue. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment