Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Twirling in the Gloom



This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118: 24 NIV)

            Almost naked cypress trees lined the shoreline by my home. Because of Hurricane Matthew’s winds, one leaned toward the lake with the others slightly off balance. Pictured against a gray sky, the trees appeared lifeless and forlorn.

            From across the lake, bellowing turkeys broke the silence of dawn. A heron swooped in and landed at the pinnacle of a cypress tree. Somehow he balanced his large body on an upward pointing bare branch. Without tumbling off, he adjusted to the tiny perch by pulling his head and wings down into a football shape. After he was secure, his head reappeared as he surveyed the lake. A few minutes later, he spread his wings and took off.

            Only a spot of white cloud glowed in the blanket of gray covering my normally bright lake view. Gloom subdued my cheerful flowers and prevented a glorious sunrise. No sunlight sparkled on the water. Even the turkeys stayed away from my yard. Despite the dismal mood, tiny birds formed dancing silhouettes in the exposed trees.

            When I focused on the birds, my morning seemed less dreary. In spite of dismal conditions, the small birds continued to flutter about. The heron adapted to his position. He pulled himself together before flying away.

            Lessons came to me through God’s creation. Like the cypress, my life had been nearly stripped and pushed off balance. When Dad, Alan, and then Mother passed away within a short time, I struggled to stay upright. But even though I missed them terribly, not everyone was stripped away. Friends and family members, who remained in my life, supported and encouraged me. Life continued on.

            God held me tightly. His Word gave me peace and strength. Prayers covered me.

            Like the dancing birds, I am learning to twirl even in the gloom. The heron taught me to take time to adapt and then soar into my redesigned life.

Heavenly Father, you have lovingly held me during my most difficult times. Thank you for those who have gathered around me. Guide me as I go forward in the New Year. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment