Saturday, August 5, 2017

Home from My Hawaiian Mission



“A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. All men will know that you are my disciples if you love one another.”
(John 13: 34-35 NIV)

            My latest mission trip is over. Three months before he died, Alan and I went to Jamaica on our last official mission trip. Since then, my desire to travel has diminished along with wanting to join a group to minister in a foreign country or even in another state.

            However, grief has made me more aware of the hurts and needs of those around me. My heart aches for those in pain and grief. God constantly places people in my world who need comfort, encouragement, and understanding.

            A young mother wheeled her daughter’s stroller into the waiting area by the gate. Her cherub smiled at me. I waved and smiled back. She waved and we continued our game until she and her mom boarded the plane.

            A twinge of sadness hit me as I walked the ramp without Alan. But instead of dwelling on my loneliness, that morning I prayed God would show me someone I could help during my trip.

            On the plane, I looked for my seat and was surprised to see the window seat taken by the mother and my tiny playmate. Even though she didn’t act like she needed comfort, I was glad they were my seatmates.

            “I hope she is ok. This is her first flight. I hope she doesn’t bother you,” the mother said.

            “I’m a grandma and was a teacher for a long time,” I said. “She will be fine and won’t bother me.”

            The mother shared about her job working for a company that promotes baseball and softball. When I told her about my granddaughter Ashlyn playing softball, she said she played too. In fact, she got a scholarship to the University of Florida and continued playing professional ball for a few years.

            Later, I told her I was alone because of the loss of my husband. Then I found out that her dad, who lived with her, died a few months earlier. Three weeks later, her mom’s long time boyfriend passed away unexpectedly. Both deaths affected her and her mom.

            “I want to give you one of my books. I wrote it after losing my parents and husband in a short time. God has gotten me through it,” I said.

            “Thank you so much. I’ll read it and give it to my mom who is having a hard time. When I saw you in the waiting area smiling at my daughter, I hoped you would sit by us.”

            God orchestrated my mission that day by connecting us. I understood about having a child and flying alone. My book offered comfort for her and her mom.

            Their presence kept me from lonely and made the five-hour flight go quickly.

            My mission trip wasn’t an organized group of people with a specific destination and purpose. But it was being open to the opportunity next to me and began my mission to Hawaii.

Loving Father, thank you for putting specific people in our lives. Guide us in how we can minister wherever we are. Amen
            

No comments:

Post a Comment