Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Storm or Tranquility?



God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day…Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth. (Psalm 46: 1-5, 10 NIV)

            Peace enveloped me when I stepped onto my porch. What a contrast to last night’s storm.

            Wind battered trees. Gales formed swells on the lake and threw them in every direction.

            Rain pelted my windows and screen. As I tried to pull patio furniture to the middle of the porch, a crack of thunder sent me running inside. Lightning flashed nearby.

            For hours, rain continued. Red splotches on the weather radar hovered over my community. Lights blinked but never went out. Gradually, the wind lessened but the rain persisted.

            At dawn, I looked for storm damage but saw none. Instead, serenity greeted me with the sunrise.

            Gray whispy clouds danced across the lake. Sunlight sparkled on vibrant grass and colorful flowers. Droplets fell from my oak tree. Cypress limbs drooped because of waterlogged needles. Wind and rain bent decorative grasses like old men. But nothing seemed to be destroyed.

            A movement caught my eye as I did my morning devotions. At the end of the lake, a doe and her white fawn jogged along the shoreline. Finally, I saw the unusual offspring my neighbors had seen on previous days.

            As the sun warmed the air, water evaporated. Droopy limbs sprung back into place. Decorative grasses stood tall and waved in the breeze. Clouds disappeared and blue sky returned.

            After the evening tempest, God provided delightful surprises at dawn. I had a choice to make. I could focus on the frightening storm or the peace afterward.  Remembering His faithfulness during past storms, helped me decide to embrace the tranquility.


Heavenly Father, thank you for your love and care in the rain and the sunshine.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment