Saturday, July 15, 2017

Blooms from Brokenness



After you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
(1 Peter 5: 10 ESV)

            A wooden tower of orchids enhanced my patio garden. I moved it to different locations to find the right amount of sunlight.  Even with instructions from friends who were more knowledgeable than I was, some of the plants could have looked better.

            One day I noticed a long, broken stem on one plant.  As it fell towards the floor, it split almost in half. I planned to cut it off later that day but forgot.

            Each morning when I sat on a chair beside the disfigured plant, I remembered that I hadn’t taken care of the stem. Day after day I got busy when I went into the house.

            The rest of the plant remained a vibrant green. Only the stem appeared brown. Surprisingly, after a couple of weeks, tiny buds dotted the end of the broken stem.

            No longer did I think of cutting it off. Every day buds grew larger on the split stem and on the healthy one next to it.

            Watching the growth of the broken plant became a part of my daily devotional time. God spoke to me through the damaged plant.

            My orchid should not have bloomed in its pitiful condition. According to the world, people in difficult circumstances shouldn’t either. I have seen people bloom who are going through painful diseases, grief, and untold losses. Though crushed and splintered, they find hope, strength, and peace as God holds them up. They inspire and comfort others.


Father, thank you for broken plants and people that bloom because of your love. Amen 


No comments:

Post a Comment