Sunday, July 2, 2017

The Lifeless Plant



When they are lost, I will seek them and bring them back every last stray. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak… (Ezekiel 34: 16 The Voice)

            The leafless plant on my porch stood out amid more vibrant green ones. When Alan first learned of his pulmonary fibrosis, friends visited to pray and brought a pink flowered desert rose. Over the years, it bloomed bountifully and then appeared dead when the leaves all fell off.

            Normally, after a period of rest, leaves reappeared and blooms covered it. But for several months, it looked like a pot with a couple of sticks in the dirt. I tried watering and not watering. Moving to different locations for sunlight and shade. Nothing helped. Because of the special memories, I couldn’t discard it.

            I put it outside so I didn’t have to look at the forlorn plant. For weeks, it received no care from me. Water came from the sprinkler and rain. Morning sunlight shined on it.

            One day while I was working in my yard, I decided to throw the container away. Tiny spots of green emerged from brown stems. There was some life left so the plant remained in my yard.

            Weeks later, another surprise. A single, pink bud prepared to open.  The plant, which appeared to be dead, slowly returned to life without my help.

            I can’t fix every problem but I can step aside and let God take over.


Father, thank you for bringing life back to hopeless situations. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment