Thursday, October 26, 2017

A Refugee from the Storm



I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. (Psalm 32:8 NKJ)

          Before getting out of bed, I prayed, “Show me someone I can help today.”

          Few people entered the library bookstore as I straightened shelves and added books to the children’s section.

          Another volunteer, who arrived late, told of her hour long wait in bumper to bumper traffic. She saw no accidents but several police cars.

          Then I remembered a news story about locations in Central Florida where hurricane victims could apply for food. One was located near the library which explained the traffic jam.

          As we worked, a dark haired man entered the store. “Is FEMA here?”

          “No, they left last week.”

          “At the airport, they said we could get help from FEMA. I just arrived last night from Puerto Rico,” he continued.

          His words broke my heart. My friend and I exchanged looks and moved closer to him.

          “Do you know where I can go to find out about housing and a job?”

          My mind tried to grasp his reality. New country. No job. No home. I couldn’t imagine what he had gone through.

          I felt God’s nudge to do something I had never done. “May I give you a hug?”

          We hugged briefly. His eyes glistened as he composed himself.

          “We are so sorry for what you have gone through,” Pat and I said.

          Neither of us had any real answers, but we directed him to the location where food vouchers were being given out and explained about the long lines.

          “Of course, that’s nothing compared to what you’ve been through,” Pat said.

          After he left, we tried to process how difficult life had become for thousands affected by the hurricanes. Watching videos on the news brought sadness. However, experiencing the pain of someone fleeing the devastation, clutched our hearts.

          Even though the hurricanes shattered his island, he wasn’t in despair.  He requested information but wanted to help himself. I prayed that he got what he needed.

          That morning a silver cross, that Alan gave me, hung from my neck. Hopefully, the man felt love and encouragement as God’s hug used my arms.


Heavenly Father, provide for your children who have experienced tremendous losses. Help us to know how we can serve them. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment