Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Lessons from Wee Teachers



Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. (Mark 1:35 NIV)

            Before getting out of bed, plans for the day jumbled within my mind. My sluggish body refused to move. Finally, I shuffled to the kitchen for a cup of tea to wake up.

            As I reached down to pick up my newspaper from the driveway, a thin black worm wiggled across the pavers. His movements fascinated me. His head stretched out to lengthen his body like a taunt rubber band. Little by little, his body caught up. Slow. Steady. He moved toward the grass but never did his body stretch beyond what he could endure.

            From my patio, I watched and learned more lessons. The bumblebee followed his daily routine. He zoomed to the orange flowers and stuck his head into one after the other. He didn’t hurry. He focused on only one bush and wasn’t distracted by other blooms in my garden.

            As I enjoyed the tranquility of my retreat, chirping drifted across the lake. The sound came closer and a brilliant cardinal flew into an oak tree. His melodies entertained me for a few minutes as he rested before flying away.

            Near the water’s edge, an orange butterfly flitted among white blooms near the shoreline. A swaying stem enticed the butterfly to stop and relax. A few seconds later, he resumed his flight.

            Each creature taught me a lesson. The slithering worm showed me to not stretch myself too thin. The bumblebee taught me to focus and not be distracted. The cardinal showed me to stop and listen. The butterfly demonstrated to take a break and then go on. Nonstop activities, even good ones, eventually wear me out and make me less effective.

            After being with people, Jesus took time to get away and be alone.

            After my lessons, I spent a leisurely day relaxing and enjoying time by myself.


Heavenly Father, thank you for each creature and the lessons I learned. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment