Monday, February 4, 2019

Twinkles of Light in the Darkness



A cocoon of fog encased the highway. Mile after mile I could see only a short distance in front of me. The gray tunnel hid trees and buildings along my early morning trip to church. 

            Blurry red spots revealed vehicles ahead of me. Occasional speeding cars illuminated my way for a few seconds before passing and disappearing into the abyss. 

            At a safer speed, I joined an unplanned caravan of autos as we continued a steady pace for miles down the interstate. 

            In my mirror, I could barely recognize a car following me. With his lights off, the driver increased the danger to himself and those behind him. From one exit to another, he remained oblivious to the problem. Finally, he turned on his lights so other drivers could see him. What a relief. 

            In the heavy fog, not one light could illuminate the entire roadway. But each little light made a difference. They helped guide me and prevented a disaster. 

            Those lights reminded me of a scripture I read that morning before getting into my car.  Matthew 5: 16 told of being a light in the world. 

            Sometimes I feel that my little light won’t make much of a difference. Then I remembered things done for me which might have appeared small but touched my heart. A hug during a stressful time. A bowl of homemade soup when I was alone and didn’t feel like cooking. A ride to the doctor when I couldn’t drive. A delicious meal after my surgery. Birthday cards that lined my counter. Words of appreciation. The list could go on and on. 

            Like car lights on a foggy road, our lights can be a guide for someone’s darkness to give hope and encouragement for their journeys as God is glorified. 

You are the light of the world. A city located on a hill can’t be hidden.15 Neither do you light a lamp, and put it under a measuring basket, but on a stand; and it shines to all who are in the house.  Even so, let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5: 14-16 WEB)

Dear Lord, guide to be a light in a dark world. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment