Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Unhearlded Servants



For I was hungry and you fed me. I was thirsty and you gave me a drink. I was homeless and you gave me a room. I was shivering and you gave me clothes. I was sick and you stopped to visit. I was in prison and you came to me. 

Then the King will say, “I’m telling you the solemn truth. Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me-you did it for me.” 
(Matthew 25: 35-36, 40 The Message)

Wheelchairs. Walkers. A few residents strolled in on their own. The recreation room began filling up for the weekly service. 

            With two of his children, a young pastor moved around the room as soon as they arrived. The elementary aged boy and girl shook hands with every person. Their dad shook hands and greeted each one by name. He introduced himself to my cousin and me as we joined my aunt for the Sunday service. 

            At the small organ, he played familiar hymns and then asked for requests. Elderly voices blended with younger ones. 

            With confidence, the young girl and boy sang several verses of “Jesus Loves Me” and signed the chorus. What a delightful part of the afternoon church service. 

            The simple, but powerful sermon about faith, touched my heart. Earlier in the day, I had attended my own church with thousands of worshipers. Both pastors used Scripture and preached a significant message for their congregation—large or small. 

            Days later, my cousin and I returned to the assisted living facility to attend another service with my aunt. A different man led the gathering and moved around the room to greet each person by name too. 

            While we sang selected songs, the leader constantly scanned the room and moved to those who needed a little encouragement. Throughout the service, he motivated and uplifted the audience with his kindness and compassion.

            One young and the other old, both men faithfully serve the tiny congregation every week. They treat each person with love and dignity. The love of Jesus shows through as they serve the aged. Some with dimming eyes, impaired hearing, and fuzzy minds. Men and women who lived full lives working and serving others, now have two devoted men doing the same for them. The dedicated men see every person living in the facility as precious in God’s sight.

            Their preaching and faithfulness to the elderly will never be announced on the news. There will be no monetary compensation for their time. The reward will be to hear, “Well done, thy good and faithful servant.” 

            How many others quietly serve with no expectation of fame or riches? Instead of elevating those who love the limelight, look for the humble servants who make life richer and more meaningful for the lonely, widowed, and orphaned. 

            I went to the services to support my aunt but received a powerful lesson in serving from two godly men. 

Loving Father, thank you for those who faithfully serve even when many fail to notice. Help me to love and serve like Jesus. Amen          
            

            

            

No comments:

Post a Comment