Thursday, June 20, 2019

A Spectacular Rainbow



Hours before dawn, I awoke. My clock taunted me for an hour before I gave up and slipped from bed.

            Blackness obscured the lake while I read my Bible on the patio. Finally, light broke through as I continued reading daily devotionals.

            Rain dimpled the lake for a while. Days and days of rain had filled the lake. Scraggly, green grass surrounded my home. Light clouds veiled the sky and cast a gloomy ambiance. The morning view matched my tired body and subdued mood. 

            Movement through the screen caught my eye. My neighbor surprised me and said, “Come and look.”

            I closed the patio door soundlessly to not disturb the wildlife. Had she see a bear, bobcat or deer? 

            When I joined her between our homes, my eyes followed her gaze. A complete rainbow spread before us like a proud peacock. Vibrant colors embellished the sky. An arc, with a faint twin beside it, rose from behind a neighbors’ roof and dipped into a stand of trees. 

            We stared and marveled at the perfect rainbow. As I stood in the wet grass, I didn’t want to leave the special gift. 

            Both of us wanted to share the beauty, but her husband was the only one close to us. 

             “We could go knock on doors,” I said. 

            We laughed. Sleeping neighbors would probably not be delighted with our early morning visit.

            After I returned to my patio, I remembered looking at the sunless lake view. Each day I enjoy watching the changing flowers and lake as wildlife drop by. There hadn’t been anything unusual.

            Only when my friend summoned me, did I move from my comfortable chair and see the masterpiece in front of my house. I concentrated on the routine and didn’t see the spectacular. 

            I can become so secure in my safe, little world that I neglect to see what adventure God has for me. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3: 5-6 NIV)

Loving Father, help me to move from my comfort zone to explore your path for me. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment