Friday, June 7, 2019

The Scary Snake



In the dim light before going to bed, I noticed an unwelcome visitor as I walked to the kitchen for a last minute drink of water. 

            At my feet, a small, brown snake formed an S on my wooden floor. I jumped back and tried to catch my breath.

            Was it dead? Was it waiting to strike? How did it get into my house? How would I get rid of it? I certainly couldn’t sleep with the intruder inside.

            Thoughts swirled in my mind as I tried to think of a plan. From afar, I studied the motionless creature. 

            Realizing that I had to figure out what to do, I inched closer and closer to the scary creature. Then I bent down near the unmoving snake. With trepidation, I reached out and touched the end of his body. 

            His softness surprised me. Laughter overtook me. I was thankful no one was watching or making a video.   

            The “snake” was actually a length of brown yarn. I had no idea how it ended up in the middle of my floor. My yarn bag was not even in that room, and I had not crocheted in several days. 

            The snake incident made me giggle at myself. But that wasn’t the first time I have been afraid and concerned about something that was harmless and not what it seemed to be. What a waste of time and energy!

When anxiety overtakes me and worries are many, Your comfort lightens my soul.
 (Psalm 94:19 The Voice)

Heavenly Father, thank you for being with me in the difficult times and even when I concoct my own troubles. Amen    

No comments:

Post a Comment