Monday, June 15, 2020

Small but Powerful



Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor that which is evil. Cling to that which is good. In love of the brothers be tenderly affectionate to one another; in honor preferring one another; not lagging in diligence; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope; enduring in troubles; continuing steadfastly in prayer; contributing to the needs of the saints; given to hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless, and don’t curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice. Weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind one toward another. Don’t set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Don’t be wise in your own conceits.(Romans 12:9-16 WEB)

A string of tiny solar lights wrapped a wooden plant stand on my patio. At night, they twinkled in the dark. But during the day, nothing about the plain, green strands stood out. They dangled from the top to the bottom of the four-foot pole. 

            Sunlight streamed through the trees and onto my patio. A glittering surprise caught my attention. Spider webs filled in spaces between the lights. Intricate designs created a silky masterpiece. 

            A busy spider or group of them wove webs from one plant to another. Crisscrossing strands joined pots of aloe to the stand and down to herbs at the base with lovely lacework. Diligent workers must have taken days, weeks or even months to produce the artistic designs.

            Day after day, I sat in my chair next to the plant stand to read the Bible, pray and read devotionals. Each morning the lake beyond my yard greeted me with wonderful wildlife. Often, egrets, bald eagles, turkeys, sand hill cranes, and deer visited. 

            Although I loved the beauty outside my patio, I missed the marvelous creations next to me. I searched for what was far away but ignored what was near
            During uncertainty of Covid 19, unrest of the protests, and turbulence of the riots, I searched on TV, the radio and the Internet for glimpses of hope. I wanted to see what important people could do to alleviate world tragedies.

            I felt helpless and wondered what one person could do. God spoke to me through His Word and a dear friend. Looking backwards doesn’t solve problems. We need to look ahead and make positive changes.

            Within my world, I can pray for peaceful change and understanding. I can offer hope to those in turmoil near me. Give words of encouragement. Thank those who help me. Listen more than I speak. Instead of waiting for someone more prominent than me to solve the difficulties, I can make a difference in those in front of me. 
            The wee spiders did what they were made to do in a small way but with a powerful impact. If everyone did that, what a difference we could collectively make. 

Loving Father, help us contribute to peace and understanding in our part of your world. With your instructions and obedience, we can affect change. Amen 

2 comments:

  1. Well spoken....God can use each of us as disciples to minister to others. You are one of them who has touched my heart over and over through your gift of writing.💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. At times, it is hard to write but your encouragement helps me get back to it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete