Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Limp and Lifeless



Therefore I urge you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service. Don’t be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God. (Romans 12:1-2 WEB)
As the beginning of isolation, cool temperatures and low humidity greeted me for my daily walks and bike rides. By 8 am, I would be on my way and enjoyed meeting people around the neighborhood. 
            As the shutdown continued into late spring and summer, things changed. I left my house earlier to escape the intense heat and high humidity. Few people ventured out at dawn so I often had the streets and sidewalks to myself. 
            On my excursions, I dropped off pages from daily devotionals at my friends’ homes. A few widows were regulars on my route. Other friends received them occasionally. On special holidays like Mother’s Day and Easter, my outreach grew to include more neighbors and even some residents I didn’t know. 
            As I read devotionals each morning, I decided who would benefit from each one. On other days, I prayed for the best one for each friend and left it up to God and. Often, friends told me they really needed the writings I left for them. 
            During the heat and high humidity of summer, I left home with crisp papers in my hand. At the first couple of stops, the pages remained firm and dry. Minutes later, my hand clutched limp, damp devotionals which looked like they had been left in the rain. 
            Likewise, lives during the pandemic have become limp and lifeless. Isolation, illness and uncertainty have sapped energy and decreased motivation. 
            Even though isolation has kept me home for months, I don’t want to become limp and lethargic. My solution was to find creative ways to interact with people. My daily deliveries of uplifting readings encourage friends and give me happiness. When I reach out to other people, I find joy in sharing about Jesus. 
Lord, give us strength, peace and joy as we navigate through the pandemic. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment