Monday, August 3, 2020

Another Crisis?



Charts of neighboring counties with Corona virus cases and deaths flashed on the screen. A colored US map displayed states with increasing numbers of Covid. 

            As if that wasn’t bad enough, stations provided continuous coverage of a possible hurricane for Florida. For days, maps of the Caribbean and the southern United States displayed possible tracks for the named storm. They fixated on a storm that vascillated from a tropical storm to a category 1 hurricane and back again. The tracks moved back and forth. 

            Viewers were urged to stock up on water and batteries. Get papers in order. Fill cars with gas. During hurricane season those things should be done normally. 

            However, every time I heard the weather forecast, it sounded like we were going to be hit with a category 5 hurricane. Stations vied for viewers with constant, frantic predictions. 

            I brought outside potted plants inside and pushed patio furniture away from the screens. I filled my car with gas and was off to my granddaughter’s softball tournament. 

            For two days, I watched teen girls play softball and enjoyed time with my family. Just being outside with people and away from the gloomy news made me happy. 

            The last day of the tournament my brother, Joe, texted me to see how I was doing and asked about the storm. When I told him I didn’t know where it was, he told me I should check its status. 

            After arriving home, I finally did turn on the news to more hype. Supposedly, it was headed my way but winds might only be 30 to 40 mph. Our normal summer storms could be worse than that.  

            Of course, I should be prepared but not obsessed with either crisis the media projects. 

            Instead, early each morning I read the Bible and pray. That is more beneficial than becoming hysterical and anxious from media reports. Comfort, strength and direction from God’s Word gets me through every day. Jesus is my focus instead of the Covid 19 and a tropical storm that might become a hurricane and might come my way. 

            I am not totally ignoring the world but don’t want to get entangled in the rampant agitation, panic and terror. 

            When I read posts and listen to various people, I keep wondering. “Would Jesus say that? Would he do that? “

            He admonished us to love God and love others. He did that even when He didn’t agree with them. I can’t change the world nor the opinions of those who believe differently from me but I can make a difference in my little part of the world by trying to be more like Jesus. 

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love one for another. (Matthew 13:34 NKJ)
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (Matthew 14:27 NKJ)

Jesus, turn hearts toward you and show us how to love others. Give us peace in this unsettled world. Amen.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment