Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Hummingbirds, Bees...


 

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV)

 

Spires of flowering plants lined the back of my patio. Bell shaped blooms of red orange and white decorated green stems. Both kinds of flowers came from the clearance rack at Lowe’s. 

 

            A couple of years ago, I dug holes and dropped withered plants into the ground. With plenty of water and sunshine they flourished. Occasionally, I trimmed dead and out of bounds foliage but mostly let them grow on their own.  

 

            Tiny plants grew to be over four feet tall and formed a lovely addition to my garden. They attracted a variety of winged creatures. Monarch butterflies swooped down for a visit. Lizards climbed part way up until the stems swayed with their weight.

 

            Fuzzy bumblebees zoomed from one flower to another. They grabbed onto the flowers and stuck their heads into white and red orange blooms almost every day. 

 

            Although I enjoyed watching all of the visitors, hummingbirds were my favorites. Whirling wings allowed them to hover as their slender beaks dipped into the red orange flowers for delectable treats but they always bypassed the white ones. 

 

            Some days they drank briefly and disappeared. At other times, the pair of teeny birds hung in the air as if by magic above one plant and another before drinking from flower cups. Then they whizzed away. 

 

            At our previous home, Alan put up a hummingbird feeder and meticulously cleaned and filled it with red hummingbird food. Because it was away from the house, we didn’t see many birds come to eat.

 

            After we moved, the feeder remained in the garage. When Alan passed away, I didn’t want another thing to take care of so I gave the feeder away. 

 

            During isolation, I have had more time to appreciate the things around me. I had no idea my clearance rack plants would bring such joy to my garden. Hummingbirds come more frequently or perhaps, I have slowed down and noticed them more. I have also observed other wildlife and plants more closely. 

 

            In addition to increasing gratitude for my retreat on the lake, cherished family and friends have become even more precious. As my world opens up again, I don’t want busyness to overshadow thankfulness of all God has given me. 

 

Heavenly Father, I am so grateful for all you have put into my life. Show me daily how to live for You in the midst of a busy and chaotic world. Amen

 

             

 

No comments:

Post a Comment