Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Toppled Bush


 

 After all, it is I, the Eternal One your God, who has hold of your right hand, Who whispers in your ear, “Don’t be afraid. I will help you.” (Isaiah 41:13 The Voice)

 

Wind battered cypress and oak trees in my yard. Limbs thrashed in every direction during the raging, summer storm. Torrents of rain pelted the lake. Bits of hail hit my windows. 

 

            Thunder and lightning produced a frightening fireworks display as I watched the power of the storm from one window after another. 

 

            Gradually, rain only dimpled the lake. Weary limbs stilled. Thunder rumbled in the distance. Only then did I venture outside to check for damage. 

 

            Pink periwinkles reached for the ground. I trimmed heavy stems. When remaining leaves dried off, most of the flowers stood upright. But no bees buzzed around red and white frazzled blooms on neighboring plants.

 

            Another clearance plant from Lowe’s grew from bedraggled to vibrant and beautiful until the thunderstorm hit. Then the five-foot tall bush leaned almost to the grass but the mass of yellow blooms clung tightly to the toppled plant. The rain soaked ground loosened the sturdy trunk and tipped the healthy plant. 

 

            

            With lower branches removed and less weight on the tilting trunk, I hoped the bush would right itself. That didn’t happen and days of more storms pushed it lower and lower. 

 

            A decision had to be made about the unsightly bush before it fell completely from another storm. Should I cut off more limbs and hope it would stand up? Should I just dig it up and replant?  

 

             First, I cut more branches off as I tried to decide its fate. Before I could put the trimmings in a garbage bag, bees returned to the plant. They stuck furry heads into smiling blooms and collected nectar from the lopsided plant. I stopped working and watched the busy insects.

 

            Although I am allergic to bees, I knew they were too busy to notice me. When I reached down to dispose of the remains, bees flew to the blooms on the ground and sipped nectar. They noticed something worthwhile in the waste. 

 

            I realized trimming didn’t help, but I couldn’t dig up the once beautiful plant. It needed a second chance so I rummaged in my garage for some type of support. I found two short wooden stakes connected with yellow construction tape. Although they were much shorter than the bush, I decided to try. 

 

            At once, I realized a single stake wouldn’t hold the leaning bush. After jamming both stakes into the ground, I struggled to enclose the errant branches in tape. More hands would have made the job much easier. However, I finally surrounded the entire plant and pulled and pulled until it stood as tall as I did. Knots held. I waited for another storm.

 

             In the meantime, roots had a chance to push deeper and hold steady. Bees visited daily. Yellow sunshine blooms made me smile. Although it leaned slightly, the small stakes gave needed support to the crooked bush.    

 

            Months of multiple disasters have caused uneasiness, anger and depression. Difficult circumstances extinguished hope and brought despair. Like the small stakes, our limited strength can help prop up others temporarily. 

 

            Lasting strength, peace and comfort comes from God. 

 

Father, thank you for the strength you give us when we have none of our own. Show us how we can support others and help them know You. Amen

 

                        

No comments:

Post a Comment