Tuesday, June 15, 2021

The Stately Blue Heron


 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

 

As the sun shimmered across the lake, I gathered supplies for my morning devotional time. With everything in order, I glanced toward the lake. 

 

            A stately blue heron, with his neck in a perfect S, stared at the water. Like a large, gray statue, he stood rooted to the shore. Something in the dark water caught his attention. He tiptoed down the bank without moving his eyes from the spot. 

 

            He waited and waited. Then in slow motion he stretched out his lengthy neck and opened his long, pointed beak. He waited for breakfast.  Surprisingly, he didn’t dip into the water for a tasty treat. 

 

            Instead, he lifted his powerful wings, dragged his legs  in the water like landing gear, and flew across the lake. He didn’t appear disturbed at the change in his plans. 

 

            Just after dawn, I had ridden my bike and formed mental plans for the day. Often, I cram multiple activities into my schedule. Fun, helpful and rewarding but also sometimes tiring. 

 

            The heron reminded me to take time to relax, enjoy nature, and listen for God’s plan.

 

Father, thank you for constantly teaching me through your creation. Show me when to change my plans. Amen. 

 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment