Monday, April 17, 2023

Flee Like a Deer


Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Romans 12:2 (NIV)

As the sun rose behind the forest, I settled into my morning routine on my patio. With an open Bible and devotionals ready, an unusual movement outside caught my eye. 

            A doe sauntered along my shore in the dim light. Her head turned and megaphone ears pointed toward me. 

            I became a statue to avoid any sound or motion that would scare her away. She walked a few steps, stopped, faced me and turned away to sample fresh needles from one of my cypress trees. 

            At the same time, another deer came into view. I barely breathed as the splendid duo visited my yard for a few minutes. Then without another glance at me, they continued their morning stroll along the lake. 

            God made the striking creatures with an especially sharp sense of hearing and smell. Their strong legs carry them swiftly from danger. They constantly stop, look, smell and listen to protect themselves from any threat. As soon as they discern possible peril, they flee. 

            We can learn from the deer. Although our hearing and smell are not as keen as deer, God has given us other ways to discern possible risks. Daily, we can pause to see if danger lurks in who or what we listen to and participate in. Are we involved in following people or ideas that are contrary to God’s Word? Do we get swept along with the crowd to feel accepted instead of standing firmly with our values? Instead of conforming to the world, do we flee from harmful people, activities and beliefs? 

            The deer showed how they calmly search for danger but didn’t become anxious. What a valuable lesson for us. 

Loving Father, show us how to be in your world but not to be entangled by it. Show us how to sense danger and flee so we live the way you want us to live. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment