Wednesday, April 26, 2023

The Watery Rut


The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. “I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. 
I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran.

Genesis 12:1-4 (NIV)

Sunlight glistened from the wake of a creature in my lake. Its route passed close to the shore, turned and ventured back to its same path. 

            The speed of the critter was too fast for a turtle. The wake too large for a snake. From a distance, I thought perhaps it was a duck or snake bird. Binoculars proved it was neither of them nor an otter. 

            Day after day I watched the unusual pattern in the lake but couldn’t figure out what it was. Then my neighbor took a video of the perplexing animal and determined it was a large carp. 

            The fish’s long, shiny body slithered through the water. Occasionally, its tail fin protruded like a menacing shark. Instead of crossing the lake, the carp circled an area in front of my home. 

            It could have explored the entire lake but remained within a relatively small section. Back and forth it went but never far from shore. Perhaps food was plentiful there. Maybe other animals stayed away. But the unusual fish never found out if food was more abundant and flavorful near the far shore. What did he miss by staying in the same place? 

            Perhaps we do the same thing. Instead of venturing into new territories and situations, do we remain where everything is familiar? Are we afraid to take risks and explore new opportunities? 

            I don’t want to be like the carp who is caught in a watery rut but look forward to investigating untried adventures and challenges whether big or small. 

            . The main thing is to not be afraid to get out of the rut.  

Loving Father, show us how to explore and enjoy your world. There are so many opportunities that we miss when we are afraid to leave our routine. Give us courage to listen and obey when you lead us.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment