Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Nonstop Valentine





After having lunch with friends, I met Alan in our kitchen and began telling him about our delicious meal. Suddenly, my eyes stopped. On the counter a lovely bouquet and large card waited for me to notice them. He grinned. What a sweet Valentine’s surprise.

On February 14 people profess their love with flowers, candy, cards, and romantic dinners. Fortunately, my Valentine doesn’t only give gifts on one day a year.

Each day his actions show me his love. He brings the newspaper in and takes the trash out. He dusts, mops, and cleans windows. He washes dishes and compliments me on my cooking. He mows, edges, and trims the yard. Other tasks include paying the bills and organizing important papers. Prodding isn’t needed.

He spends hours and hours planning trips. Each year we go somewhere special for my birthday. Our travels have taken us around the world.

Even though he hates hospitals, he’s visited my ailing family members. He has learned to enjoy granddaughters when children were an alien species to him.

His enthusiasm and dedication have allowed him to help people around the world through his eyeglass ministry. He delights in assisting those who can’t see well.

After his recent surgery and recuperation, I was reminded of how much he does for me. Though it was difficult to see him in pain, I felt privileged to be his caretaker.

My Valentine shows his love in countless actions which sometimes include lovely cards and beautiful flowers. Instead of only one day, I have a year of valentines.

Whoever is in your life, let them know they are loved. For many years, I had no Valentine living with me but have always had people who loved me.

Happy Valentine’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment