Friday, February 3, 2012

What do I do now?

Beautiful weather beckoned. Armed with three types of clippers, a couple of shovels and an empty container, I attacked my yard. From tiny weeds to long palm fronds, yard debris filled my container.

On my knees, I pulled unsightly weeds from flower beds. Up and down I went clipping tree branches and overgrown bushes. Digging and yanking stubborn vines kept me going from one mess to another.

Even after Alan told me I should stop for the day, I continued. More cans filled. Finally, heat and exhaustion set in. Reluctantly, tools and garbage cans returned to the garage.

Ankles cried out. Knees creaked. Shoulders and neck yelped in pain. What had been enjoyable the previous day became agony the next.

Years before, I would work all day in the intense sun and still be able to go again the following day. Those days are gone.

As difficult as it is to admit that the body can no longer keep such a strenuous schedule, it is true. Circumstances alter life.

When children run, hop, jump and skip, they unconsciously celebrate their youth. No thought is given to what they can do. Few appreciate good health and active bodies until age, injury, or disease attack.

Though I can no longer keep up with my younger self or the one my mind thinks I have, I feel blessed for what I can do.

Each day I can learn to celebrate what can be done. When I can’t run, I can walk with my husband. When I can’t hop, I can sit with a friend. When I can’t jump, I can read a new book. When I can’t skip, I can encourage someone who can. For each part of life that is lost, there is an opportunity to pursue something new.

Proverbs 20: 29 “The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old.” NIV

Father, give wisdom and strength when life changes. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment