Monday, April 23, 2012

Sanctuary

Wrapped in a red plaid Masai cloth over my fuzzy robe, I shivered. The crisp morning contrasted with recent warm temperatures. As the sun woke, my wicker chair rocked. Bird-feeder games commenced. Numerous birds vied for position. Resident cardinals shared breakfast. His vibrant scarlet and her muted gold formed a perfect couple. They snatched seeds and then dropped to the ground under the oak where they hopped and snacked. A brilliant blue jay snatched a seed from the feeder and zoomed back to the pine to eat it. Back and forth he went. His ample body prevented him from perching on the ledge. Tap. Tap. A red headed woodpecker rapped on the pine. Then he swung to the feeder and hung below it. Seeds rolled into his beak. Though too large, like the blue jay, his ingenuity helped him plan a way to obtain seeds. In a flurry birds hustled back and forth from the trees to the feeder. My head swiveled, trying to keep up with them. How could the wood pecker go so fast? Then I realized there were two which was a rarity in my garden. More birds joined the flock. Brown finches hopped and tweeted through my herb garden. A gray dove waddled through the spider plants. A smaller blue jay rocked the feeder but was able to actually eat there. Ducks hit that water like seaplanes. After his morning swim, a dark snakebird spread his wings to dry. Gleaming in the sunlight, a great white egret glided like the space shuttle across the lake and landed nearby. Though weary, I had gathered my Bible, books, paper, and tea to venture into the chilly morning. Flowers bloomed. Birds sang. Leaves rustled. Waves rippled, and sunlight sparkled. My private sanctuary calmed and refreshed me after a restless night. What a delightful reward. Taking time to enjoy God’s creation prepared me for the day. Energy returned. If I had stayed comfortable inside, I’d have missed the lovely gift. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11: 28-29 Creator, thank you for your beautiful creation. Help me to take time to enjoy it and learn from it. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment