Sunday, April 28, 2013

Accepting the Leaps



Circles rippled the glassy lake. Dragonflies fluttered above the water. The serenity was broken by the loud quivering of leaves.

A flying leap propelled a small, brown squirrel from a pine tree to an oak several feet away. He tottered on a swaying limb before scooting to firmer footing. He nibbled at the ends of weaving branches. 

He scampered from tree to tree even when the distance seemed too far. Several times his foot slipped, but he grabbed hold and hung momentarily upside-down. He righted himself and took off for more tasty morsels. Each tree--pine, oak, palm, myrtle, and cypress--offered unique challenges and opportunities. For several minutes his adventures kept him busy but off the ground. 

For the last several months my life has mirrored the squirrel’s. High. Low. Topsy-turvy. Complicated. Constant changes.

With all of his antics, the squirrel never fell. He scrambled to keep going and didn’t give up. God created him with an instinct to climb, feet to grab ahold, and desire to continue.

My squirrel teacher’s lessons will help me face my challenges. When I leap from problem to another, I will also remember that God gives me what I need to survive and flourish. When I depend on Him, I will navigate each trial knowing that even if I slip, He will catch me. 

If you are right with God, He strengthens you for the journey; the Eternal will be pleased with your life. And even though you trip up, you will not fall on your face because He holds you by the hand. Psalm 37: 23-24 (The Voice)

Eternal Father, guide me and hold my hand to keep me steady. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment