Sunday, April 7, 2013

Broken but Still a Blessing






Gusts of wind whirled across the lake. As a precaution, I moved a couple of my smaller orchids from the patio table to the floor. Recently, wind had thrown pots onto the floor so I didn’t want a repeat performance. 

For the first time, five of my six orchids were blooming or had buds ready to pop open. Two tiny yellow blooms decorated the smallest plant. A row of deep purple buds prepared to burst open on a second one. The two largest ones held up to ten large white flowers, centered with yellow. On the last one, purple dots painted a unique pattern. Though all were exquisite, my youngest granddaughters loved the spotted one.

Over the years, I had little competence in raising the delicate plants. I treated them like other flowers, and they died. Only after researching their care, did I finally know how to make them flourish and bloom.

With confidence, my collection grew and delighted me with a splendid exhibition. With the littlest plants off the table, I thought the others would be able to withstand the possible wind.

“Oh, no!” I cried. 

Sprawled on their sides, two of my prizes lay forlorn on the patio floor. Mulch scattered next to a broken stem of blooms. Why hadn’t I moved all of the plants?

Purple spotted blooms looked up at me. The girls’ favorite flowers. Broken. Bruised. Destroyed. 

Setting the pots upright, I replaced the mulch and took the wilting flowers inside. Surprisingly, only two blooms had dropped from the stem. I put them into a glass on the counter. Then I carefully set the stem into a little vase. Though broken, they could still be used. 

Because of my catastrophe, three girls would enjoy the special flowers at their home. What I first thought was beyond help, turned into a new purpose and design. 

God uses brokenness, heartache, and devastation to form surprising gifts which reach beyond our imagination.

We are confident that God is able to orchestrate everything to work toward something good and beautiful when we love Him and accept His invitation to live according to His plan.  Romans 8:28 (The Voice)

Still, Eternal One, You are our Father. We are just clay, and You are the Potter. We are the product of Your creative action, shaped and formed into something of worth. 
Isaiah 64:8 (The Voice)

Creator, you can create something wonderful from rubbish. Help me to give you all of the pieces. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment