Saturday, June 15, 2013

A Different Fathers' Day




Hundreds of cards lined the shelves. I scanned the collection to find the son category, and quickly found an appropriate one for Chris. 

Before tears spilled out, I hurried away from the cards screaming Fathers’ Day. For the first time in my life, I had no dad to receive my card. 

Since his daughter Stephanie’s death last year, Alan is a father with no daughter. Now, I am a daughter with no father. 

Grief prowls and snatches happiness unexpectedly. I had entered the store to purchase small items for my granddaughters’ long car trip. When the cards screamed Happy Fathers’ Day, grief took me close to tears and reminded me of what was lost. However, it also brought years of memories to mind. How thankful I am for the times I had with my dad. 

I can better relate to others who also have no dads. Some lost them recently. Some long ago. Some never knew a loving dad. 

Even though I won’t see my dad on Fathers’ Day, I can celebrate the years I did have and also rejoice with other dads in my life.

Fathers’ Day can be a day of joyful remembrances, perhaps sprinkled with tears. My Heavenly Father comforts and understands.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for earthly fathers and that you are our Father who never leaves. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment